January 31, 2012

Chapter Four: The Job Part Two


At least I think it is,” said Stone not too reassuringly.   
“Listen I know there is method to your madness, and those unorthodox methods have a high success rate, but you cannot be serious. The only reason I brought you here is because of recent activity before her death. It seemed a little suspicious and I wanted you to investigate it a little bit. That is all, no more making murders up,” groaned Klein, not caring about Stone’s unconventional style.
“Well, I was just examining the writing style of one Miss. Dominguez, and it most certainly is her handwriting. It’s definitely not forged. However, I can tell you that it wasn’t written by a manically depressed person, but by one forced against her will-““Shut u-“”No Chief, let me finish. You see, when a depressed and suicidal person writes a suicide note, they tend to write in a downward slant, use a lethargic vocabulary and tend to be mentally fatigued. For her, it’s almost the opposite. It’s almost as if she’s amped up because someone put a gun to her head, or more likely her daughter’s. Also, if she was this depressed to take her life, she would be exhibiting the characteristics I was talking about earlier with fatigue and lethargic vocabulary, but she doesn’t. It’s not the robotic writing of a depressed person, but the manic expression of one who is being forced to do an unimaginable task against her will.”
“This was a bad idea from the start. Listen here Stone, you’ve been a decent contributor over the years as a consultant, but your shenanigans cannot be tolerated so can you please bring something legitimate to the table instead of these crackpot theories?”
“I can tell someone is a little unappreciative. Tell me then if I am only a decent contributor, when was the last time I was wrong?” Klein opened his mouth, but stammered, chewed and digested the question over and seethed when he realized he could not definitely answer it. Stone always had a knack of doing that, of somehow always being unerring, to the point of infallibility. “Exactly. Now if you want to risk the chance of a murderer roaming the streets of your beloved city, then go ahead and brush my crackpot theory aside. But if you want to consider all the options before hastily marking this suspicious case as suicide without at least further examination, just give me a chance to find something, just one thing that could perhaps change your mind?”
“Fine, you are right. It is our duty to at least make sure this is just a suicide. I’ll give you 24 hours to examine the crime scene, but if you come up empty my hands are tied.”
“That’s all I need,” quipped Stone, halfway out the door, with a healthy jaunt in his step.

No comments:

Post a Comment