January 31, 2012

Chapter 3: That Heartless Bitch


         “That heartless bitch!” yelled Stone after kicking open Marceau’s door, while tossing his trench coat towards a chair.
                “What the hell is the matter with you?” asked Marceau, slightly puzzled but mostly apathetic.
                “I am so glad you didn’t pick my profession. Who do you think that was?” asked Stone, a maverick look across his face. Marceau leaned onto the wall and took a gulp from his precious Wild mug.
“Let me guess, a hooker that doesn't accept checks?” quipped Marceau.
“Ha, very funny. See, this is why I don't share any secrets with you anymore. What is it that you want anyway?” Stone asked.
“Oh yeah, that’s right. Captain Klein wanted to see you. He said it was a big case that he wants you to take a look at. I guess you are a hot commodity as a consultant?”
“Why are you surprised? They always call me up for big cases. Anyway, it beats the hell out of the shitty cases we’ve gotten lately.” Stone replied. Marceau just shrugged, while Stone got up and grabbed his ruffled up coat, but as he left for the door, he got pushed into the custodian closet.
“Well, I usually express company policy during work hours but I am willing to make an exception or two.”
“No, not that you sicko. I am here to help out with your son’s birthday slash make sure that you don’t fuck it up!” said Sterling cheeringly.
“Well that’s sweet, but I’d prefer if it would be just me and my son to be honest." Stone had to think of a lie quick, he didn't want to bear the bad news to Sterling. "Besides, I am pretty sure that he hates you… a lot,” said Stone sternly.
“What?”
"Um," Stone mustered as much imagination as he could, which turned out to be more vicious and biting than what he had planned. “Yeah, he affectionately referred to you as that easy bitch on the side that mommy says is trying to take Daddy away from him. And before you ask, I am not kidding.”
“That heartless bitch! Not the kid, your ex." Stone nods in agreement, subtly thinking in retrospect that a little too harsh for Sterling, clearly pained that Stone's son apparently "hates" her. "Okay, fine. So what are you planning to do?”
“Well, I am a millionaire with plenty of dinero for my son to blow it on whatever he fancies for his damn birthday, and he better damn like it!” Stone shouted proudly.
“Ugh, I really feel sorry for that kid.”
“I’m sure he feels the same about you too.”
“I don’t get it, we’ve been together for eight years, but your son still refers me as the bitch on the side.”
“Whoa, sorry but we haven’t been ‘together’ for anytime at all.”
“Oh yeah, I forgot. You want a strictly sexual connection because you’re not a man enough to love again.”
“Well, sure when you put it that way it makes me look like a jackass. But I’ll say it again, I don’t give a fuck! No need to be doing another debate on this topic. Shit, I’m already late!” As Stone burst open the door, all of the people in the office wore looks of shock and horror as the two stagger out of the utility closet—with the lone exception being Marceau laughing behind his mask of a hand—and Stone casually waves goodbye to Sterling and hustles out as fast as he can, keys in his hand.
(Chapter Four Right Here)

No comments:

Post a Comment